In a previous article we spoke about Bridesmaids’ duties before the wedding event, you can find it here (http://sayidoinperu.com/blog/bridemaid-pre-wedding-duties/) al our tips.
Here we try to figure it our what are the bridesmaids’ duties for the actual wedding day, what are the specific tasks you should perform if you have been asked to be a bridesmaid for your friend’s wedding and you have no idea of what you can do to help and support her on this special day. Think of it about the ultimate checklist for Bridesmaids’s wedding day duties.
So after supporting the bride during the wedding planning process, the wedding shower and wedding side-events your job hasn’t finished yet, there is still the big day with the wedding ceremony and the reception to go. So be ready to be there for the bride! Here a list of duties for the wedding day:
- Try to keep a calm and happy atmosphere among the other bridesmaids and the bride throughout all the day: this is extremely important since your friend will need your emotional support on the wedding day, remeber that she will be nervous!
- Try to be on-time for the bride’s hairdresser and make-up artist appointments, it could be at the saloon/spa or at her house or ceremony venue, but be there on time.
- Prepare an emergency kit for the bride; this should include tissues, lipgloss/lipstick and other make up she might need during the day for a touch-up, a sewing kit in case of last minute dress retouches or for any wedding dress problems may arise, quicksilvers are also essential in my experience and very practical. Also, include in the kit some basic remedies, such as aspirin. It is important to be prepared!
- Do not forget the snack and a bottle of champagne for the bride and the other bridesmaids while you’re getting ready. This is very important also for creating a relaxing atmosphere before the ceremony.
- Get dress and ready before the bride to help her into the bridal gown. This is one of the nicest moment for the pre-wedding photography session, so make sure that the photographer is there to document this special moment.
- During the ceremony keep an eye on the bride’s veil, it should be placed in the right way (depending on the veil usually it could go on a side or in the aisle) for the photographer to take great pictures. Seat in the front by the bride’s side and be ready for the procession back out at the end of the ceremony.
- Be prepared with the wedding party to enter the reception area right before bride and groom once you are announced. So do not get lost during the cocktail hour, nobody wants to look for you in that moment and bride and groom won’t be eager to wait for you!
- You might need to give a speech after bride and groom arrival at the reception venue, this actually depends on the bride’s choice. So be prepared for it and have your speech ready before the wedding day, considering that this day you will probably have no time to organize your idea and write down something. You can note down on a piece of paper your ideas or on your cellphone, or just memorize it. It is up to you!
- Try to be the soul of the party and make sure that all the guests are having a great time! So, once the music kicks in, start dancing on the dance floor, so that people will join you and the party will easily start. Also try to mix with the guests and make sure that people are entertained. This will help bride and groom to relax and have fun.
- Help with any surprise you prepared for the reception and party time, any entertainment show, special dances, flashmob, etc.
- Help with the newlyweds exit at the end of the reception gathering the guests outside and have the car ready for them to go away.
So bridesmaids to be, we hope that this article can help you have your duties clear and be a real supportive rock for the bride during her special day!