A question that I usually receive from the bride and groom at the half of the wedding planning process is: “Should we hire a videographer as well?”. Usually all the couples add the “as well” to the question! Once they got a photographer they feel quite satisfied about the artistic coverage of their wedding, so they start thinking about a videographer few weeks or months after they hired a photographer. This is something that always happens to me as wedding planner, I do not know if other colleagues experience the same.
My answer to this question is generally something like: this is actually really up to you guys, I suggest you to have a videographer for these specific reasons (I will explain in few lines), but you should also consider your budget at this point of the planning process. Whatever videography style you choose: cinematic, documentary, artistic, classic, it is extremely worthy to have it and you can definitely adjust your wedding budget to include the videographer’s cost. So, what are the pros to have a videographer for your wedding?
1. A video can capture emotions, feelings and facial expressions that are sometimes hard to capture through photos. I know this is highly arguable, since good photographers can capture all of the above and more, but it is not always like that! Not all the wedding photographers are able to do this, so keep this in mind before taking your decision.
2. A video can capture sound and music; this is actually an essential and important pro. You can listen to what your guests were saying in a specific moment of the reception for example, you can hear the background voices in the moment the bride walked down the aisle, you can listen to the music selected for the first dance while you watch yourself dancing in the middle of the dance floor and live again that moment. Sound and music tracks are extremely important and useful to evoke memories.
3. A video allows you to see what you missed the day of your wedding. Usually the bride is getting ready in a hotel room or at home and the groom is doing the same somewhere else, also after getting ready they will take photos for their first look, so what about your guests? After ceremony bride and groom go away for their photo session, so what are the guests doing during this time? Are they having fun? They are obviously having fun, listening to the playlist you selected and enjoying a fresh drinks and appetizers. So you can see all the parts you have missed and there will be some cute and fun scene you definitely do not want to miss. This is possible if you hire a videographer with an assistant, the latter will take care of the guests while the videographer usually goes with couple for the photo session.
4. A video allows you to have everlasting and substantial memories of your wedding days. It can be watched every time you want and you can live those moments again and again. Imagine living again and again the moment of the vow exchange during the wedding ceremony, listening to your voice and watching your gesture, this is an emotional moment, full of magic and you can remember it forever with a video. Also, every time you watch it you will discover something new and this is pretty cool for me! I love to watch wedding videos, see all the decoration details and read the emotions on people’s faces.
5. A video allows you to have everlasting and substantial memories of your wedding days. It can be watched every time you want and you can live those moments again and again. Imagine living again and again the moment of the vow exchange during the wedding ceremony, listening to your voice and watching your gesture, this is an emotional moment, full of magic and you can remember it forever with a video. Also, every time you watch it you will discover something new and this is pretty cool for me! I love to watch wedding videos, see all the decoration details and read the emotions on people’s faces.
6. Having a videographer could be extremely fun for bride and groom, since for a day they will feel like celebrities and they will play in front of the camera. This could be also fun for your guests especially if your videographer is planning to include some short interviews to your guests to sending you their best wishes for this great day.
7. A video is easy to share with your friends and family, you can also upload it on YouTube and make it public. It is soooo much fun for your guests to watch themselves and remember that special day. It is also very useful to strengthen family relationships and sometimes you will remember people who are no longer with you in the present. Also your children might have access to this video and they will feel part of your special day even if they weren’t there.
Now, some basic tips before hiring your videographer: ask him if he have already worked with the photographer you hired, since they will have to have a meeting before the wedding, explain him/her clearly what you have in mind and what is your favorite videography style, review some of his/her video samples to have an idea of how he/she works, establish a time schedule for him/her so that he/she knows exactly where to go and the timeline of the event.
So are you still in doubt about hiring a videographer for your wedding? I definitely suggest you to review your wedding budget and make room for a videographer!